Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Just JERF baby!

I started experimenting with diets around the age of 12 - both for ethical as well as health reasons. Over the last 20 years I’ve been vegetarian, lacto-ovo vegetarian, vegan, raw food vegan, did a weighed/measured eat every three hours fitness model diet. I tried macrobiotics, eating for my dosha, eating for my blood type, various juices cleanses and green smoothie fasts. Thankfully, six years ago I came across the paleo/primal lifestyle - eating as our ancestors did, way back before supermarkets and takeaway joints. More affectionately known these days as JERFing.


My journey along this particular path hasn’t been as linear as I’d like. But with all the back and forths I’ve come to experience that not only does this concept make sense, it helps give me the potential to heal from my ailments and thrive! Because as much as what we put in our body makes a difference, what we don’t also plays a huge role. I love how Liz Wolfe puts it best:
Filling your daily food requirements with grass fed meats, wild caught fish, organic eggs, good fats and oils, vegetables (organic where possible) and small amounts of fruit is the best way to start. Eventually it will be easy to remove irritating foods such as grains, legumes, sugars, and dairy. Then eliminating all potentially harmful foods such as additives, preservatives and highly processed food stuffs will be second nature. 

Finding the right way to eat can take some trial and error but if these ideas resonant with you I’d highly recommend popping over to Balanced Bites to check out the free charts the very knowledgeable Diane Sanfilippo offers here :-) (On a personal note, totally girl crushing on these ladies! If you want to totally geek out I can't recommend their podcast enough Balanced Bites Podcast). So, I dare you, go get your JERF on for a month and come back and tell me how you feel.

Links:

JERFing
Liz Wolfe
Balanced Bites
Practical Paleo Cheat Sheets
Balanced Bites Podcast
Underground Wellness Radio




No comments:

Post a Comment