Monday, 9 December 2013

SIBO and Blasto December Update

Aka the latest ventures in digestive wellness.

My laptop cracked the shits. Won't start so sadly no decent posts till it's sorted :-( But I wanted to quickly stop by and post an update as I'm feeling much better than I was last post!

I finally got what I needed to treat SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth which I've written about before). The doctor has put me on an antibiotic, a herbal and a probiotic. I've also added some extra support for gut healing and energy:

Keflex (Cephalexin 500mg) 3 x per day
Bactrex (Metagenics) 2 x 2 x per day
Probiotics (Metagenics) AM + PM

Multivitamin (Biomedica)
Liver Pills (Dr Ron's)
Colostrum (Colostrum Health)
Cascara Sagrada Tincture


After unsuccessful antibiotic treatment for Blastocystis I wanted to give my body extra support while treating SIBO. Boost all my tanks so my body has a bit more to withdraw from during this eradication.

While my gut symptoms have remained the same, my fatigue has decreased and I've got some energy back woot woot!! I still have 3 days left on this protocol...

This came into my inbox today from the guys over at SCD Lifestyle. A great 12 minute vid on what SIBO is, how to test for it and how to treat it: link here. I highly encourage you to give it a watch.

I go see my old doctor next week to discuss second round treatment for Blastocystis with another line of medication outlined by the Centre of Digestive Disease in Sydney. They have 2 protocols they like you to try - if neither of them are successful final treatment is an expensive procedure and colonic infusion of a super effective solution. After a few years of experimenting with colonics and enemas I'm no stranger to having tubes inserted into my behind, it's the price tag that comes with this treatment that puts me off at this point (I hear it's in the range of $1500, plus you still have to get to Sydney). But everyone that's done it has had a successful result. 

A different combo of medication, extra herbal support and a less depressed and hopeless attitude will hopefully do the trick! Otherwise I make the expensive journey to Sydney... It may seem drastic but I want my life back and I want Blasto gone so I can finally move forward.

Wishing you an amazing holiday season, be safe, be kind to yourself, cherish your loved ones and I'll post again in Jan. Please do email me or find me on Facebook if you have any questions. This journey is tough enough and there's no reason to do it alone xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I was just wondering which of the above is a antibiotic and why you have chosen an antiboiotic different from the one normally prescribed....not sure how to spell it riflamxin something like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keflex (Cephalexin) is the antibiotic. My Doctor prescribed this due to the specific strand of bacteria I have an overgrowth of... staphylococcus aureus (you can read about that in the last post). Rifixamin is expensive and not as successful as it's made out to be. It also has more side effects so the doctor wanted me to try Keflex first which was more mild and had no side effects (yay). I have to retest in a month and see if it worked. If I didn't have a biopsy to find out the type if bacteria I was considering rifixamin. In my experience, regardless of the antibiotic you must support the process with diet and herbals.

    ReplyDelete