Sunday, 30 March 2014

Round Up and Resources

It’s been awhile, mainly because I haven’t known where to start or what to share. I’ve been busy working a crazy new work schedule with hours all over the map; realising the depth of my adrenal fatigue and seeing it’s effects on my energy… Stimulants no longer work so I have to actually slow down and fix it! Now, there’s an idea ;-) 

Been feeling really disheartened honestly, feeling like I’ve made no progress and had nothing of value to share. Overwhelm has also been present, still just have so many issues going on and have been trying to connect the dots and deciding what to address first. I had a good few months after the last round of antibiotics but it feels like I’ve regressed, feeling like I did 6 months ago and it’s not a fun place to be.

I’ve been taking supplements for the MTHFR gene mutation, started working out again (kind of), been taking adrenal support and trying to keep my diet as basic as possible to avoid reactions (semi successful). I haven’t taken any pharmaceutical meds (apart from pramin for nausea and a very occasional temazepam for sleep) since December as I wanted to give my gut a break. 

My GP wants me to do the ALCAT test for food reactivity but at $550 I’m putting it on the back burner. I’ve read varied reviews on it and I haven’t read anything solid about the accuracy of it’s results - so I’ll leave that as a plan B.

Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth has taken the forefront (SIBO), it’s nastier than I first expected. There are so many foods I can no longer tolerate, constant brain fog, bloating and tummy pains. Sleep is up and down, nausea comes and goes and constipation and acne are still constant. Thankfully I’ve found a great health coach who I’m working with on this issue specifically (Angie Alt). 

My coach has been wonderful so far and I’m hopeful, but after 2 strong rounds of antibiotics for Blastocystis that didn’t work I’m a little doubtful. I guess I don’t want to set myself up to be disappointed again. But Angie has travelled this road twice before herself and working with someone who has done the hard yards, not just read about them, is reassuring. 

So today, instead of sharing my own views and researching I wanted to collate a page of all the resources I’ve found invaluable the last few months in hopes that it may save you some time and hopefully assist you in connecting your own dots.

Blastocystis



SIBO

The #1 site for the latest SIBO info:

The most recent and in-depth podcast I’ve listened to on SIBO:

Angie Alt at Alt-Ternative Autoimmune has a great personal take on SIBO:





(There's more to come on this so keep following Angie’s blog for updates)

Recommendations from The Paleo Mom:



Aglaee Jacobs:

And a great overview from the guys over at SCD Lifestyle:

Leaky Gut
The Paleo Mom:



SCD Lifestyle:

FODMAPS

The Paleo Mom:

Aglaee Jacobs:

MTHFR

Angie Alt:

Ben Lynch:




Adrenal Fatigue




My Favourite Books 

The Paleo Approach By Sarah Ballantyne 


Personal Paleo Code By Chris Kresser 

Eat, Move and Be Healthy By Paul Chek

And with that, I’m on a health coach imposed research fast while I focus on dealing with this SIBO issue with a course of meds and staying dedicated to an autoimmune paleo protocol (long version here) or (short version here) with low FODMAPS for at least 30 days, 3 months depending on how I go reintroducing foods. 

Wish me luck and I’ll try and do a better job of blog updates in the coming weeks x


No comments:

Post a Comment